Whether it is a poorly designed parking lot, heavy traffic, or a careless driver, there are many ways you can find yourself in a parking lot accident. Sometimes it can be very difficult to determine how the accident happened and who may be at fault.
If you were injured in this type of accident, a Metairie parking lot accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers might be able to help you. Having a lawyer on your side can take some of the stress and guesswork out of understanding your rights and your legal options. While you are focused on recovering and getting your life back together, we can focus on building your case and fighting for compensation on your behalf.
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers offers a free consultation to discuss your case and whether we may be able to assist you. Call our car accident team today at (504) 777-7777.
Parking Lot Accident Liability
One of the first questions that someone may have after a parking lot accident is whether their insurance is available to cover the crash. Even if the accident happened on private property, your auto insurance should generally still cover the crash. You should still report the accident to your insurer even if it happens in a parking lot and even if the other party involved left the scene of the accident, making it a hit-and-run.
The next question people often ask is how to hold the other party responsible for the accident. There are many unique aspects of a parking lot accident that should be considered, such as the flow of traffic and any right-of-way rules that were established.
If, for example, a lane of parking spots has an arrow directing the flow of traffic and the other vehicle was driving the wrong way when the accident happened, then the other party may have some liability for the accident.
There are four main things that a plaintiff is generally required to prove in a personal injury accident:
- Duty: in general, every driver has a duty to act with reasonable care and skill, including when driving in a parking lot.
- Breach: when a driver fails to act according to this standard of care, it is called a breach. You must show that the defendant breached the standard of care.
- Causation: you must show that you probably would not have been injured if the defendant had not breached the standard of care.
- Damages: it is not enough to say you were hurt. You must provide evidence of your injuries to support the amount of compensation that you are requesting.
There are many ways that a driver may breach the standard of care in a parking lot, including the previous example of traveling in the wrong direction. Some drivers are also in a major hurry when arriving or leaving a parking lot, which could cause them to speed, drive recklessly, tailgate, or fail to yield the right-of-way.
Distracted driving is another common contributing factor to parking lot accidents. This may include situations where someone is preoccupied with their smartphone, passengers, or checking their shopping list. Things change quickly in a parking lot, and it only takes a few seconds for an accident to happen.
If you think that someone else was at fault for your parking lot accident, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (504) 777-7777 for a free case review with a member of our team.
For a free legal consultation with a parking lot accident lawyer serving Metairie, call 337-221-9907
Damages in a Parking Lot Accident
If you are able to show that the other party’s negligence caused your accident, you may be able to recover compensation for your damages in an insurance claim or lawsuit. Your damages may include anything that is reasonably related to the accident, such as:
- Medical bills: this may include emergency transport, surgeries, hospitalizations, physical therapy, and medication costs.
- Future estimated medical care: to make sure you have enough to cover your ongoing accident-related medical bills.
- Lost wages: if you missed work because of your injuries or the disruption of the accident, then you can claim this damage.
- Reduced earning capacity: if your injuries are permanent and prevent you from going back to work, then you may deserve financial support for your reduced earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: this category may compensate you for the emotional and mental anguish you have endured because of the crash.
There may be other items that you can claim in the lawsuit. Every crash is different, and it is important to make sure that you do not leave out any key expenses.
It may be necessary to work with experts who can help quantify the financial impact of the accident and how your injuries have changed your life. If you partner with a Metairie parking lot accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers on your case, we can make sure to identify every item of damages that you may be owed.
Metairie Parking Lot Accident Lawyer Near Me 337-221-9907
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers May Be Able to Defend Your Rights
You do not need to defend your rights after a parking lot accident on your own. A Metairie parking lot accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to help you with your personal injury case.
We encourage you to call us as soon as possible, as you may only have one year from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit, per the Louisiana Civil Code (CC) §3492.
If you are ready to explore your legal options with a member of our team, contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (504) 777-7777.