Any type of car accident can be devastating for the victim. Whether it is minor bruising and damage to your vehicle or a serious set of injuries that requires hospitalization, an accident can turn your life upside down. A head-on collision can be particularly dangerous. This type of crash includes any situation where two cars traveling in the opposite direction collide into each other.
If you were hurt in a head-on collision caused by another party, they might owe you compensation for your accident-related damages. A Metairie car accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to help you pursue this compensation in a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit.
Most injury accident victims have several questions about their legal rights and options. To receive a free consultation on your case with a member of our car accident team, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (504) 777-7777.
Causes of Head-On Collisions
A head-on collision can happen virtually anywhere, but there are a few situations where they are more likely to occur:
- Drifting: if a car drifts into the opposite lane of traffic, there is a strong possibility that a head-on collision with an oncoming car will occur.
- Drunk driving: a drunk driver may not be able to react quickly enough to avoid a head-on collision.
- Drugged driving: both illegal substances and certain types of prescription drugs may impair a driver.
- Fatigued driving: if a driver nods off behind the wheel, he or she may not be able to keep control of the vehicle.
- Intersections: it is important to yield the right-of-way when appropriate in an intersection. Otherwise, a head-on collision may result.
- Inclement weather: if there is severe weather, like heavy rain or wind, drivers may find it difficult to control their vehicles and stay in the proper lane.
- Poor vehicle maintenance: a flat tire or other vehicle maintenance issue can cause a driver to lose control of the vehicle and veer into another lane.
There may be other factors that were at play in your head-on collision accident. A Metairie head-on collisions lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to investigate your accident and determine its cause when we represent you. We can also gather evidence of the responsible party’s liability and retain expert witnesses to help support your claim, if necessary.
For example, an accident reconstructionist may be able to inspect the scene of the accident, the vehicles involved, and other information to recreate the crash. This recreation may help us prove that the other driver is to blame for your head-on crash.
You can learn more about your potential right to financial recovery by speaking with a representative of Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers. We know just how overwhelming and confusing this situation can be, which is why we offer free, no-obligation case reviews to car accident victims in Metairie. Let us help you learn more about your options by calling us today at (504) 777-7777.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
Establishing Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
If you were hurt in a head-on collision accident, you might be able to bring a personal injury claim to request compensation for your injuries. In a personal injury claim, you typically must show that the other party acted negligently. This process involves four important steps:
Duty of Care
Every driver has a duty to drive with reasonable care and skill. This duty includes obeying traffic laws, refraining from distracted driving, and not driving under the influence. This duty takes the unique facts at play in your situation into consideration. If there was a severe storm on the day of the crash, construction, heavy traffic, or some other factor, then the duty of care encompasses those factors. A reasonable driver may adjust their speed when facing these situations, even if it potentially meant driving under the speed limit.
Breach of Duty
If a driver does not drive according to the standard of care, it may be considered a breach of duty. Examples of a breach include running red lights, aggressive driving, drunk driving, and other violations of traffic laws.
It is not enough to show that the other driver did not drive according to the duty of care. You must also show that this breach was the cause of your injuries. If the defendant can show that you were partly to blame for the crash, any recovery awarded may be reduced by your share of fault, according to the Louisiana Civil Code (CC) §2323.
To recover compensation from a negligent driver, you must provide documentation of the expenses that you have incurred as well as evidence of any ongoing expenses that you will likely have to pay in the future.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Offers a Wide Range of Legal Services
The aftermath of a personal injury accident can be time-consuming and stressful. Accident victims may need to consider many different aspects and follow multiple rules when filing their personal injury claim.
While you focus on your healing and coping with the disruption of the accident, a Metairie head-on collisions lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can coordinate your case for you. Our legal services may include:
- Filing important documents with insurance companies and the court
- Monitoring key deadlines
- Gathering evidence that demonstrates the responsible party’s liability
- Helping you document the expenses that you have incurred
- Responding to emails and phone calls about your claim
- Representing your interests in insurance claim matters
- Preparing for trial if necessary
It is important to take action quickly, as you generally have one year from the date of your accident to file a personal injury lawsuit, per the Louisiana Civil Code (CC) §3492.
A representative of Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you understand the specific deadlines in your case when you call us at (504) 777-7777 for your free case review.