When you get a knee replacement, you likely never imagine that the implant itself could be defective. Unfortunately, more and more patients have been dealing with this problem in recent years—and irresponsible medical device makers could be held accountable. If you’re facing pain and health complications due to a faulty knee replacement device, you could seek compensation through a lawsuit.
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, our Louisiana knee replacement lawyers can stand by your side through the entire legal process. We can explain your options, help you join an existing mass tort, and build the strongest possible case for your damages. We work based on contingency, meaning you pay nothing to get started.
Our Louisiana Knee Replacement Lawyers Can Handle Your Lawsuit
If you’re starting to deal with the pain of a failed knee replacement device or recovering from a revision surgery, you shouldn’t have to deal with the legal process yourself.
Our attorneys can help. We know how to handle your case from start to finish. At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, our mass torts lawyers can:
- Investigate your case and identify your damages
- Identify which manufacturer bears liability
- Show that your knee replacement failed because of a product defect
- Collect expert witness testimony
- Present your medical records, showing your surgery date and the implanted device
- Negotiate with the other party’s attorneys
- Litigate on your behalf and represent you at trial
- Navigate the court system to ensure you don’t make mistakes
Get Legal Help Without Financial Risk
Many injury victims have concerns about the cost of getting legal help. However, our lawyers want to ensure that you feel as little financial risk as possible.
When you hire our team, we can get started for you based on contingency fees. This means that:
- You only owe legal fees if we win your case.
- Your legal fees come as a portion of your final settlement or award.
- You don’t have to finance your case’s costs upfront.
Bringing a case against a medical device maker can be expensive, but we’ll finance all those initial costs for you. We can tell you more about how our contingency fees work during a free case review.
During this call, you can get your questions answered about bringing a knee replacement lawsuit. We’ll explain your next best steps—at no cost or obligation to you.
For a free legal consultation with a knee replacement lawyer serving Louisiana, call (337) 777-7777
Failed Knee Surgery Can Lead to Costs and Complications—And We Can Help
Knee replacement surgery, also called total knee replacement (TKR), can help people with arthritis or other diseases that cause them serious knee pain. For some, getting these surgeries can offer important relief. But when these implants fail, this can lead to significant health issues.
Signs that you may have a failed device include:
- Swelling or stiffness
- Loss of function in the joint
Your doctor may recommend you get a revision surgery to correct the problem. However, these surgeries are costly. You may need to travel to a certain hospital for the procedure, and you may need even more surgeries in the future. Also, research shows that revision procedures are not as successful as the original surgery. (Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine)
With all these challenges, you may deserve compensation.
Damages Available in a Knee Replacement Lawsuit
Our attorneys understand all the ways a failed knee replacement surgery can harm patients. We want to work to get you all the damages you deserve—not just reimbursement for your medical costs.
You could qualify to seek compensation for damages such as:
- Past, present, and future medical costs. This could include out-of-pocket medical expenses like co-pays, deductibles, travel costs to a hospital, revision surgery costs, and more. If you require more medical care in the future, we can estimate what you’ll pay and work to include it in your recoverable damages.
- Lost income. You may have to miss work for a short or long period due to your implant failure and your corrective treatment needs.
- Reduced earning capacity. If you go on to see long-term consequences of the knee replacement failure, you may need to take a lower paying or part-time job.
- Pain and suffering. This reflects your physical and emotional hardships.
- Wrongful death damages. You may have lost a loved one as a result of a failed knee replacement implant. Our attorneys can help you seek compensation for your financial and non-financial damages.
In some cases, medical device companies that were especially negligent may even have to pay punitive damages in a lawsuit. If awarded, this could increase your potential compensation even more.
Our Louisiana knee replacement lawyers can tell you what damages you could seek and explain what you may be able to seek in a settlement.
Louisiana Knee Replacement Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Lawsuits for Defective Knee Replacement Implants Hold Companies Accountable
While people who get knee replacement surgeries likely expect that these procedures and devices are relatively safe, more and more people are dealing with failed implant devices. Several manufacturers have been held responsible for defective knee replacement products in recent years, including:
- Zimmer Biomet
- Arthrex Inc.
- B. Braun
In these cases, patients are seeing knee implant failures for different reasons. For instance, the implants made by DePuy and Zimmer Biomet failed to sufficiently attach to the patients’ bones, which made them unstable and caused loosening.
Most recently, patients are filing lawsuits over damages related to Exactech’s knee, ankle, and hip replacement products. Certain models of the company’s Truliant, Vantage, and Optetrak replacement systems were found to have a defect in the polyethylene (PE) inserts common in these devices. Over 140,000 implants could be affected, and many people already had defective devices implanted since Exactech issued recalls in 2021 and 2022.
Now, multidistrict litigation (MDL) is pending against Exactech. As of October 2022, 75 lawsuits have been brought against the company. Plaintiffs are seeking damages for the costs and losses related to their implant failures. (Reuters)
Get a Free Case Review About Your Failed Knee Replacement Case
You could file a lawsuit and join the Exactech MDL or file an individual lawsuit if a defective implant caused you health complications. Our Louisiana attorneys can handle every step of the process for you. We can identify who’s liable for your hardships and help you go after the justice you deserve.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today for a free case review. We’re available to take your questions anytime, 24/7.