When a person’s vertebrae are broken or crushed, damage to the spinal cord can result in paralysis and other permanent impairments. These injuries may require months of treatment or physical therapy and can be devastating for both the injured person and their family.
If you suffered a spinal cord injury due to another’s negligence, a compassionate catastrophic injury attorney could help you seek compensation for your medical bills and other expenses. A Lake Charles spinal cord injury lawyer at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can discuss your situation with you during a free consultation.
Our Lake Charles Personal Injury Lawyers Can Handle Your Case While You Recover
Our personal injury legal team serving the Lake Charles, Louisiana area can take on your spinal cord injury case. With over 100 years of combined legal experience, we are well-equipped to help you.
We understand that physically recovering and adjusting to what may be a new way of life is already difficult enough. Having to cope with your injury’s impact on your life leaves little room to fight a legal battle to win the compensation you deserve.
You shouldn’t have to worry about navigating a complicated legal process. The Lake Charles spinal cord injury attorneys at our firm can do it for you. When we take on your case, your lawyer will:
- Investigate the cause of your injury
- Gather evidence of your injuries
- Collect documentation proving your losses
- Communicate with insurance companies, medical providers, witnesses, and other necessary parties on your behalf
- Secure expert testimony
- Represent your interests in settlement negotiations
- File a lawsuit in court, if necessary
- Advocate for fair compensation in court
- Provide consistent updates on your case
We Get Results
We have recovered more than $600 million for countless individuals and families who needed help. We are a results-driven law firm that puts you first. Some of our settlements and judgments for spinal cord injury victims include:
- $2 million – Victim who suffered spinal cord injuries in a car accident
- $1.6 million – Trial verdict for a crash resulting in spinal injuries
- $5 million – Judgment for a paralyzed driver
Our Clients Receive Quality, Professional, and Responsive Service
Our clients have rated us 4.9 out of 5 stars on Google Reviews, praising our professionalism, quality, responsiveness, and value.
- “I have had nothing but excellent service with this firm. They keep me updated on my case, are easy to get a hold of, and my paralegal Mallory Marsh goes above and beyond for myself and my mother. She’s kind, caring, and truly concerned about us. She regularly checks in to see how we are doing. I would highly recommend this firm. Such a pleasure to work with.” – Kori P.
- “I had a very positive experience with Laborde Earles. They provided excellent service, demonstrating professionalism and personal attention to detail. My paralegal Kimberly is smart, realistic, efficient, pleasant and very personable: all the qualities you want. I will recommend to my family and friends. Thank you for all your hard work!” – Danielle L.
- “I am so happy that I chose Laborde Earles as my attorneys. Mr. Earles is always available when I call. He keeps me updated on all the details of my case. His staff calls me frequently to check on me and to see if I need anything. I can honestly say he’s more like a friend than my attorney. Whenever I call on short notice and have a need, he makes sure that I have whatever I’ve requested. He has even made time to speak with my family. I totally trust him and I’m extremely satisfied with his experience and expertise. Thank you, Mr. Earles for being more than an attorney to me.” – Michelle G.
For a free legal consultation with a spinal cord injury lawyer serving Lake Charles, call (337) 777-7777
Common Causes of Spinal Injuries
An injury to the spinal cord often results from damage to the vertebrae, discs, or ligaments that make up a person’s back. A sudden jolt or blow to the spinal column or something that penetrates the body like a stab or gunshot wound can injure the spinal cord. While the bones surrounding the spinal cord protect it from injury, a trauma that breaks the vertebrae can cause pieces of bones to penetrate the spinal cord.
According to the Mayo Clinic, car accidents are the most common cause of spinal cord injuries. The suddenness of an auto accident can twist the body into abnormal positions or force an object or part of the vehicle into a person’s body, all of which can damage the spine.
Car accident victims also frequently suffer from whiplash, which strains the spinal column. Even minor fender-benders can cause a whiplash injury that seriously damages a person’s neck and back.
In addition to motor vehicle accidents, spinal cord injuries may result from high-impact sports, falls, assaults, or other types of trauma. When these wounds happen due to negligent or intentional accidents, the injured person may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Negligence in a personal injury case usually involves a person or entity that has failed to act reasonably and caused harm as a result. A defendant could be negligent for many reasons, such as causing a car accident, failing to provide proper safety equipment, or manufacturing a defective product.
Lake Charles Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Recoverable Damages and Compensation
Spinal cord injuries are severe because they are almost always permanent. The spinal cord is made up of a bundle of nerves, and nerves generally do not heal themselves like other types of tissue.
A complete spinal cord injury causes paralysis and lack of feeling in all of the nerves below the location of the injury. A person with an incomplete spinal cord injury may retain some feeling or have some degree of movement. However, incomplete spinal cord injuries may also result in chronic pain or numbness.
Because spinal cord injuries are so severe, plaintiffs should seek full compensation. They may need money to pay for extensive medical care, physical therapy, or assistive accommodations for their home or vehicle. On top of that, they may no longer be able to work.
You can seek to recover all of these costs and more from the person or entity that harmed you. If successful, you may recover both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages compensate injured people for the actual costs related to the injury, such as:
- Hospitalization or rehabilitation costs
- Future medical expenses
- Long-term care
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Home or car modifications
- Medical equipment and devices
- Home services
- Any other quantifiable expenses
Non-economic damages will compensate an injured person for their pain and suffering, which can include:
- Mental pain and anguish
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Lost quality of life
- Ongoing pain
- Lost functionality of body parts
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Lost or damaged reputation
- And other emotional losses
When a loved one suffers a spinal cord injury, family members can also sue for pain and suffering damages such as the loss of:
- Intimate relations
- Love and affection
- Household services
- Financial support
Start Working With a Lake Charles Spinal Cord Injury Attorney Today
Accidents involving spinal cord injuries are serious and should not be taken lightly. If you or your loved one was injured in an accident, you should consider seeking advice about your legal options.
A Lake Charles spinal cord injury lawyer is here to help you pursue fair compensation. Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today to schedule an appointment.