Commercial truckers may be far more experienced behind the wheel than the average motorist, but no driver is immune to accidents. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), 4,014 people lost their lives in truck crashes in 2020. The vast majority of these fatalities were passenger vehicle occupants.
If a negligent truck driver injured you, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, non-economic damages, and other losses. However, the claims process is riddled with legal hurdles, and recovering fair compensation is rarely straightforward. In addition, the at-fault driver or their insurance company might dispute your claim, and one small mistake could significantly reduce your payout.
The success of your claim will hinge on the strength of your evidence. You or your Lafayette commercial truck accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers will need evidence to prove negligence, liability, and the value of your damages.
How a Lawyer for Commercial Truck Accidents Can Help You
You are the victim of a commercial truck accident, but you may not be prepared to handle a commercial truck accident case. Instead, you can have attorneys for commercial truck accidents handle your case for you, addressing challenges such as:
- The time and energy investment of a truck accident case: Any legal case requires significant time and effort. Commercial truck accident cases can be incredibly complex. Our firm has the time, resources, and willingness to complete your case. You can focus on your recovery and loved ones, and we will resolve your case.
- Dealing with a trucking company: A trucking company may be a defendant in your case. That company may even have evidence that is critical to making your case. Our firm understands how to deal with trucking companies and secure evidence from them. However, you might not have experience with trucking companies and may be overwhelmed by the responsibility of dealing with them.
- Handling legal proceedings: Have you dealt with a lawsuit before? Do you know civil codes and statutes in Louisiana? We have extensive legal experience and will save you time and effort by handling legal proceedings for you.
- Negotiating a settlement: Experience can be valuable when negotiating a settlement. Our attorneys understand negotiating tactics—including tactics that the defendant’s attorney might use against you. We will fight for your financial recovery, sparing you from the difficulty of settlement negotiations.
- Completing a trial: If your case requires a trial, we will handle it. A trial may be another process you are unfamiliar with, and that is okay. However, with our lawyers handling your case, the trial will be our obligation, not yours.
Our firm has a powerful reputation in Lafayette. Clients know us as a firm that will fight for clients, regardless of how challenging a case becomes:
- “Dealing with an accident is never a pleasant experience. Compound that with the uncertainty of ongoing lingering effects and trying to address all of the insurance dealings, it can lead to a great deal of stress. I am so thankful for the aid Larke Landry of Laborde Earles has offered.” – Todd Couvillion, former client
- “This law firm is amazing. I traveled about an hour and thirty minutes to their location. I was nervous because this was my first time having to acquire a lawyer. As soon as I entered I was welcomed with open arms. Very comfortable. Nice southern hospitality.” – Renesha Daggs, former client
Clients have a firsthand perspective of our firm. We aim for every truck accident victim we represent to get the compensation they deserve. But, importantly, we want you to know that your case is important to us.
We communicate our appreciation for choosing us as your lawyers by:
- Listening intently to your story, questions, and concerns
- Providing prompt and honest answers whenever you need them
- Providing a direct line of communication to your attorney
- Providing regular updates about your case
- Fighting for the entire financial recovery you deserve
- Making you feel like our partner in the legal process
- Monitoring the progress of your recovery
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers take each case personally. You will find this out once you hire us for your commercial trucking accident case in Lafayette. Call a Lafayette personal injury lawyer today to schedule your free consultation.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
6 Steps to Take After an Accident with a Commercial Truck
It may be difficult to remain calm after a serious collision, but your statements and actions at the crash scene can profoundly impact your claim’s success. Six steps you should take immediately after an accident with a commercial truck are:
- Check yourself and other people for injuries.
- Call the police and, if necessary, request emergency medical assistance.
- Take photos showing the vehicles’ positions, traffic signs, skid marks, injuries, and property damage.
- Record the insurance information and contact details of all drivers involved.
- Record the truck’s Department of Transportation (DOT) number.
- Finally, write down the contact information of any eyewitnesses.
You should also call an attorney as soon as possible, perhaps from the scene of your accident. If you have already left the scene of your accident, contact a commercial truck accident attorney as soon as possible.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
What Is “Black Box” Data?
Many commercial vehicles carry an Electronic Data Recorder (EDR), also known as a “black box.” This device records information about a truck driver’s performance, generally including:
- Number of hours on the road
- Average speed
- High speed
- Sudden braking
- Seat belt use
EDR data can help your attorney prove negligence and liability. For example, it may show that the trucker was speeding immediately before your accident or that they violated Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) hours of service regulations.
If you wait too long to take legal action, EDR data may be erased or otherwise become unavailable. Therefore, you should contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after your collision.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
The Louisiana Statute of Limitations for Injury Accidents
A statute of limitations sets a time limit on your right to file a lawsuit. If you miss the time limit and try to file your claim after the deadline has passed, the Louisiana court system may dismiss your case.
You generally have a limited amount of time to file your accident claim in the state of Louisiana before the personal injury statute of limitations expires. For most cases, CC Art. 3492 sets the deadline at one year from the date of your accident and subsequent injury.
There are exceptions to this statute. Speak with our team even if it has been more than one year since your truck accident.
Do Not Delay Filing Your Claim
While this timeline may seem long, it is important not to delay. The longer you wait to hire an attorney and take legal action, the more difficult it may be to connect your damages to the accident.
The sooner we start your claim, the sooner we can gather and preserve evidence, interview witnesses, evaluate police reports, review security camera footage, and address other important factors and relevant information.
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
Were You Injured in a Commercial Trucking Accident?
We can seek the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys can lead your case for awards.
Our attorneys understand:
- The specificity of Louisiana’s commercial truck accident case law
- The auto insurance claims process
- How to advocate for clients during the claims process
- Recovery and restitution procedures for truck accident claims
Our Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help You
Every truck accident is different, and we are here to manage the legal process for you.
Our success with truck accident claims arises from experience and dedication to the needs of each of our clients.
We want you to have confidence in knowing that we are protecting both your financial and personal interests.
Get Help from a Lafayette Commercial Truck Accident Attorney with Your Claim Today
A Lafayette commercial truck accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you navigate the claims process and avoid costly mistakes. Complete a free consultation today.