Placing a loved one in a nursing home could be one of the most difficult decisions a family member has to make. It might be painful to take your loved one out of their home and place them in the care of strangers, but one may do so if they believe a nursing home is better qualified to provide 24-hour care for their loved one’s specific needs. While these facilities often advertise their dedication to giving the care and attention your loved one deserves, nursing home employees may take advantage of seniors’ inability to care for themselves.
If you suspect or know that a loved one is being abused in a nursing home, a Lafayette nursing home abuse lawyer may be able to help you put a stop to it and hold responsible individuals accountable. A personal injury lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may help you recover compensation for any injuries and losses suffered due to mistreatment.
What to Do If You Suspect Your Loved One Has Been Mistreated
Protecting your loved one is the greatest concern if you suspect mistreatment. You may contact the authorities if you believe your loved one is in danger. If you don’t feel the need to contact the authorities, you may bring your concerns to management at your loved one’s nursing home.
Hiring an attorney should also be a priority. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers staffs attorneys who have experience in nursing home abuse cases. We will:
- Help you ensure your loved one is safe
- Act quickly to document any injuries your loved one has suffered
- Secure physical evidence, witness accounts, medical records, and any other pertinent items
- Explain your options for seeking justice
Our firm will lead your case from start to finish. We will hire any nursing home abuse experts who can help your case.
For a free legal consultation with a nursing home abuse lawyer serving Lafayette, call (337) 223-9925
Why Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers?
Of all the law firms serving Lafayette, consider hiring Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers. Our dedicated staff will handle your case with care and empathy. Just read the experiences of our former clients:
- “I had a very positive experience with Laborde Earles. They provided excellent service, demonstrating professionalism and personal attention to detail.” – Danielle, former client
- “Laborde Earles went above and beyond my expectations. Great experience overall, they understand their clients and my needs were put first. I can’t say enough about them…” – Brenda, former client
- “Great firm and easy to deal with. They were very helpful and knowledgeable. We’ve never had to use a lawyer before, and these guys made it easy. Thank you for the great service.” – Alexis, former client
Don’t wait to reach out for help. We take pride in defending the defenseless, including elderly victims of mistreatment.
Lafayette Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Near Me (337) 223-9925
Types of Abuse to Consider
Residents of nursing homes should be treated with dignity and respect, but nevertheless, various abuses may occur. This includes physical abuse, neglect, financial exploitation, and emotional abuse.
Physical abuse may include situations where the nursing home staff intentionally harms the resident by hitting, restraining, sexually violating, or force-feeding the resident.
Neglect might occur if the nursing home staff fails to care for their residents properly, including failing to:
- Feed the resident
- Provide sanitary conditions within the nursing home
- Provide required medical care
- Provide all necessary medications
Financial abuse may occur if nursing home employees have access to residents’ checkbooks or other financial information. This provides staff members with an opportunity to forge signatures, write phony checks, or encourage the nursing home resident to change the victim’s will or engage in other ill-advised financial transactions.
Many residents may also suffer from emotional abuse. This form of abuse may occur when members of a nursing home staff insult, humiliate, or threaten the nursing home resident. Isolating the resident is also considered emotional or psychological abuse.
A Lafayette nursing home abuse lawyer from our team can help you if your loved one has suffered abuse or neglect.
Common Symptoms of Nursing Home Abuse
Family members who have entrusted their loved ones to the care of a nursing home must remain vigilant to detect the symptoms of potential abuse. These symptoms may include:
- Evidence of physical abuse or neglect, such as bruising, scars, and bed sores
- Changes in your senior’s behavior, including being withdrawn and not communicating
- Unusual financial activity that does not match the nursing home resident’s typical spending patterns
- Extreme weight loss
- Other alterations in the resident’s appearance and general hygiene
- Unanticipated changes to the resident’s will
A nursing home abuse lawyer in Lafayette can help if you see any signs of concern.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What does Justice for an Abuse Victim Look Like?
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, our job is to obtain justice for abuse victims. So what might justice look like for your loved one?
We generally help our clients by securing a financial recovery. This recovery may allow your loved one to move forward without worrying about finances. A recovery is also a measure of justice against those who have wronged loved one.
Your loved one’s financial recovery may account for:
- Their pain and suffering: Abuse of any kind inflicts great suffering. Your loved one may receive compensation commensurate with their pain and suffering.
- The cost of their time in the home where abuse happened: Nobody should have to live in an abusive situation. We may recover the cost of your loved one’s stay in an abusive nursing home setting.
- Medical costs: Any medical expenses related to abuse may be recoverable.
- Relocation costs: The cost of moving your loved one to a new nursing home or assisted-living facility may be included in a financial recovery.
- Any other economic or non-economic harm related to abuse: Our team will create a detailed list of your loved one’s losses. We will seek fair coverage and nothing less.
Each case of abuse is different. We will speak with you, your loved one, their doctors, and other experts. Combined, we’ll have a full picture of your loved one’s damages.
Work with a Lafayette Nursing Home Abuse Attorney from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers
If your loved one has been abused while residing in a nursing home, they may be entitled to recover damages. A Lafayette nursing home abuse lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may secure justice. We will aggressively pursue the compensation your loved one deserves.
Since large corporations with extensive legal teams own many nursing homes, it could be important to contact an attorney as soon as any symptoms of abuse appear. Consult a Lafayette nursing home abuse attorney to discuss your right to compensation.