The aftermath of a Lafayette highway accident can be painful and overwhelming, and survivors often have severe physical injuries. Highway collisions are often catastrophic due to increased speed limits. Likewise, highway traffic doesn’t stop, and highway drivers—especially those who are fatigued, distracted, or intoxicated—may have a tougher time controlling their vehicles in poor weather conditions. Unfortunately, in many cases, highway accident victims lose their lives during or after the accident.
If you or a loved one were injured in a highway accident, our personal injury attorneys at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers could help you navigate the complicated claims process and pursue the compensation needed to recover from your losses.
Why Hire a Lafayette Highway Car Accident Lawyer in Lafayette, LA?
There are many benefits of having a personal injury attorney work on your behalf if you’ve been injured in a highway auto accident. In some situations, highway accidents involve several vehicles. This can make it challenging to identify the individuals at fault and all the parties that might share liability. Several tasks must be accomplished to do this, including the following:
- Obtaining police and accident reports
- Reviewing pictures and video footage from the crash
- Speaking to eyewitnesses that saw the accident or were involved in it
- Consulting with medical professionals and preserving medical records
- Hiring expert witnesses, such as accident reconstructionists
Once evidence of liability and your losses is gathered, your attorney can negotiate with the parties partially or wholly responsible for compensating you. Most commonly, these include other drivers and their insurance companies, but the following parties may also share some liability:
- A manufacturer of a vehicle or its parts, if defective
- A repair shop that failed to maintain or fix a vehicle properly
- Government agencies responsible for road maintenance or design
- The trucking company or shippers/loaders responsible for securing cargo
Other parties may be involved in your accident, and any or all might share responsibility for your losses. At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we work to identify all liable parties, and they are held accountable for their part in the accident.
For a free legal consultation with a highway accident lawyer serving Lafayette, call (337) 777-7777
What Compensation Can You Secure for a Lafayette, LA Highway Accident?
A car accident can take a massive financial toll on victims and their families. The no-fault benefits provided in your insurance policy may provide a payout for some of these expenses, such as medical bills and lost wages. However, a highway accident lawyer can help you maximize the compensation you recover.
A highway accident attorney in Lafayette, LA, may be able to help you recover compensation for the following damages:
- Medical bills, such as emergency care, hospitalization, surgeries, doctor’s visits, prescription medication, etc.
- Lost wages due to taking off work
- Diminished future earning capacity
- Property damage
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
Wrongful Death Damages
Certain family members of a loved one fatally injured in a highway accident can seek compensation for their losses, including the person’s surviving spouse, children, parents, and siblings.
Damages may include the following:
- Funeral, burial, and cremation expenses
- Loss of income and benefits that the deceased would have provided
- Loss of guidance and support for the surviving spouse and children
- Loss of companionship for the surviving spouse
- Emotional anguish for the surviving spouse, children, and parents
- Punitive damages, in some instances where the defendant’s conduct was especially egregious
The statute of limitations to file a personal injury or wrongful death claim in Louisiana is one year from the date the injuries occurred or a loved one’s passing. For this reason, it’s vital to contact an attorney who can begin working on your case as soon as possible.
Lafayette Highway Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
How a Highway Accident Lawyer in Lafayette, LA Proves Negligence
Most car accident cases seek to prove one or more parties were negligent and, in doing so, demonstrate liability. The following four elements must be established in personal injury cases to prove a party was guilty of negligence:
- Duty of care: Every driver on the road owes a duty to all others to drive safely and avoid behaviors that could cause harm to others.
- Breach of duty: The driver responsible for the accident failed to fulfill their duty of care, such as by speeding or failing to obey traffic laws.
- Causation: The driver’s breach was the proximate or direct cause of the accident and your injuries.
- Damages: The injured person incurred losses as a result of the other driver’s breach of duty
Click to contact our Lafayette Personal Injury Lawyers today
What Are the Most Common Causes of Highway Accidents?
Some of the most common types of highway accidents include the following:
- Rear-end collisions happen when one driver collides with the back of another vehicle that is stopped or moving slowly. These are commonly caused by distracted or fatigued drivers who neglect to pay attention to traffic.
- Head-on collisions involve two vehicles traveling in opposite directions colliding. These are typically caused by driver error, such as crossing the center line when inappropriate.
- T-bone accidents occur when one vehicle hits the side of another car at a right angle, often due to drivers running stop signs or red lights.
- Rollover accidents transpire when a vehicle tips over on its side or roof, often due to taking a turn too sharply or overcorrecting.
- Multi-vehicle accidents involve multiple vehicles in an accident, often the result of chain reactions common on busy highways.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact a Lafayette Highway Accident Attorney Today
Being injured in a highway accident may result in long-term, ongoing medical bills, physical pain, and severe emotional distress. Fortunately, an attorney from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers could help relieve you of your financial burdens during this challenging time.
If you have questions about recovering damages for a Lafayette highway accident, contact us today to discuss legal rights and options and start the process of pursuing compensation for your losses.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form