The most popular form of hired vehicle in Lafayette is Uber, with Lyft and taxi companies taking second and third place. Hired vehicles, also known as common carriers, can be a convenient mode of transportation; however, these vehicles are still vulnerable to accidents. Collisions involving common carriers can be uniquely complex because several different insurance companies may be involved.
If you were hurt in an Uber, Lyft, or taxi accident in Lafayette, you should consider seeking help from a lawyer at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers. A car accident attorney from our firm can help you identify the responsible parties and all available sources of compensation.
How an Attorney Can Help You Build a Strong Uber or Taxi Accident Case
If you decide to work with a Lafayette Uber/taxi accident lawyer from our firm, we offer to do the following to help grow your case:
Identify the Liable Party
Depending on who is involved in your accident, there may be one or more liable parties in your case. As mentioned, whether Uber is responsible depends on the driver’s app engagement.
Regarding taxi accidents, the taxi driver, the taxi company, a maintenance company, or manufacturer can be held liable for damages. In some cases, a third party may be responsible for causing or contributing to the accident.
Gather Evidence for Your Case
After an accident, the injured passenger should document as many details as possible while on the accident scene. This could include:
- Contact information for all involved drivers
- Witness statements
- Blackbox information
- Video footage of the accident
- The official crash report
We can help you retrieve evidence. In many instances, we can request information on your behalf if you have not recovered it already.
Represent You in Communications, Negotiations, and Court
One of our lawyers will serve as your legal representative, meaning they can:
- Handle communications with insurance companies, attorneys, and other involved parties
- Negotiate a potential settlement on your behalf
- Present your case in court to a judge and jury
Throughout the litigation, our team will provide guidance and advice on your legal options. However, you remain in control about what actions you want to take in your case.
For a free legal consultation with a uber/taxi accident lawyer serving Lafayette, call (337) 777-7777
Uber and Taxi drivers have a Greater Duty of Care to Passengers
First, common carriers have a heightened duty of care to their passengers. While all drivers have a duty to follow the rules of the road and avoid injuring others, those who provide transportation as a service are held to a higher standard.
Lafayette Uber/Taxi Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Liability Coverage Varies in Uber and Lyft Accidents
Additionally, identifying the appropriate insurance company can be difficult after an Uber or Lyft accident. Drivers and their parent rideshare companies both have insurance coverage, and it can be difficult to determine who is responsible for paying damages.
For this reason, many victims choose to seek help from a Lafayette Uber/taxi accident lawyer from our law firm. Our team can review your case and identify who may be held liable for your damages.
Who is Responsible for Paying an Uber Accident Claim?
If the Uber driver was negligent, the driver’s liability insurance would be responsible for covering damages. However, in some circumstances, Uber might also be held liable for damages.
Determining the responsible parties requires a detailed analysis of the facts of an accident. By law, the liable party in an Uber accident can depend on whether the driver was actively engaged in a ride. For example, the following scenarios have different liable parties:
- The Uber driver was not logged into the app: If the Uber driver was not actively logged into the Uber app when the accident occurred, then Uber would not be held liable for their actions. The driver’s own auto insurance company would have to cover damages.
- The Uber driver was on their way to pick up a passenger: If the Uber driver was logged into the app and en route to pick up a passenger for a ride when the accident occurred, then Uber may cover for damages if the driver’s liability insurance is not enough to cover damages.
- The Uber driver was actively transporting a passenger: If the Uber driver was giving a passenger a ride at the time of the accident, Uber would be held liable for damages. This may also apply even if a third party caused the accident and not the Uber driver.
Per RS §45:201.6, Uber and other ridesharing companies (e.g., Lyft) must carry liability coverage should accidents occur. Our legal team can review your accident and identify who the liable party might be in your case. The first step to recovering compensation after an Uber, Lyft, or taxi accident is to set up a claim with the responsible insurance company.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Damages You May be Able to Recover in an Uber/Taxi Accident Case
If you suffered injuries in an Uber or taxi cab accident, we can help you recover compensation for various damages, such as:
- Medical treatment expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Current and future loss of income, including benefits if applicable
- Property damage, if applicable (e.g., vehicle damage if you were in another vehicle when you collided with an Uber/taxi vehicle)
- Permanent disability, including loss of a bodily function (e.g., vision or hearing)
- Physical disfigurement, such as scarring
- Loss of joy in hobbies and activities
- Emotional anguish
Wrongful Death Damages
If you lost a loved one in an Uber or taxi accident, then you may be able to pursue additional losses related to their death. For example, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Funeral costs
- Burial or cremation costs
- Pain and suffering felt by both the decedent (your loved one) and the family
- Loss of income from the decedent
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
Losing a loved one can be difficult to cope with while trying to prepare for litigation. Allow our legal team to prepare your wrongful death case on your behalf while you grieve with your family in private.
A Lafayette Uber/Taxi Accident Attorney on Our Team Wants to Work with You
If you were hurt in a collision with a common carrier, you should consider seeking the services of a Lafayette Uber/taxi accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers. With help from a dedicated attorney from our team, you may be able to recover fair compensation for your losses. Call (337) 777-7777 today to receive a free consultation.