Pedestrians can encounter unsafe roadway conditions and negligent drivers. Without the exterior structural protection that a vehicle offers, pedestrians can suffer severe injuries when accidents happen. An Egan pedestrian accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can assist you in filing a personal injury claim to recover losses resulting from the accident.
How an Egan Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Helps
An Egan pedestrian accident attorney can handle all the legal steps, including reviewing your case, evaluating its validity, informing you of the available legal options, and filing a lawsuit on your behalf. Our team can:
- Conduct a thorough investigation of your case
- Help prove liability
- Negotiate fair compensation from the insurer
- Represent you in a trial
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer serving Egan, call (337) 777-7777
What To Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Egan
If you’re hurt in a pedestrian accident, here are some vital steps to follow to protect your wellbeing and right to file a compensatory claim:
- Call 911: After a pedestrian accident, call 911 immediately so that they can send an ambulance to offer first aid and transport you to the emergency room if your injuries are severe.
- Seek Medical Attention: Always seek medical attention after a pedestrian accident, even if your injuries are seemingly minor. Receiving medical care ensures your injuries and treatment are documented. Medical records can serve as evidence when filing a personal injury claim against the liable party.
- Collect Evidence: Take videos and pictures of visible injuries, damages to vehicles, and the accident scene. Also, collect the contact details of all the other parties involved in the accident, including eyewitnesses.
- Be Cautious of What You Say: After the accident, avoid apologizing, admitting fault, or guessing about the accident’s facts. If you give formation about the accident, only mention the points you’re entirely sure about. That applies when talking to the insurance companies, police, or other parties.
- Consider Working With a Lawyer: An attorney from our firm can review your case, offer professional advice, and help you pursue compensation to recover losses.
Egan Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Pedestrian Accidents Can Result From Negligence
Particular factors can increase the risk of pedestrian accidents. Another party’s negligence may also contribute to injuries. For example, a motorist may engage in:
- Impaired Driving: The National Safety Council (NSC) indicates that 41% of all pedestrian fatalities in the U.S. result from impaired driving. An impaired driver lacks the sharpness and reflexes needed to avoid hazards on the road.
- Distracted Driving: This is the most easily preventable cause of pedestrian accidents since drivers know they must maintain absolute attentiveness at all times while on the road. Drivers are often distracted when talking on the phone, texting, or eating.
- Speeding: Anytime a driver is speeding, they create a dangerous situation on the road. A speeding driver may hit a pedestrian since they’re moving too fast to slow down in time. Also, if the vehicle was speeding, the consequences of a pedestrian accident are more deadly.
Types of Injuries Involved in Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can cause catastrophic injuries. For example, victims can sustain:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs): A pedestrian accident can lead to TBIs since the pedestrians don’t wear helmets like cyclists or bikers. Brain injuries are not visible immediately but can later progress as the organ starts to swell. Always seek immediate medical care if you’ve hit your head after an accident.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: They happen when you experience severe back or neck injury after a pedestrian accident. A spinal cord injury can occur due to a fall to the ground or force from the vehicle’s impact.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Also known as road rash, this injury happens when the pedestrian’s body scrapes across the ground, resulting in bruising, abrasion, or lacerations. Road rash is easily infected, and your doctor might suggest the use of antibiotics or skin ointments. In severe cases, you might undergo skin grafts or surgery.
- Mental Health Injuries: Victims undergo a traumatic experience. After the accident, you may experience anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Mental health injuries are as severe as physical injuries, so seek medical care. Treatment options include medication, therapy, or other natural remedies.
- Broken Bones: Fractures are prevalent after a traumatic pedestrian accident. To prevent further injury, avoid putting weight on your limbs if you suspect a broken bone. After the accident, seek immediate medical care since not all fractures are visible.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Seeking Compensation After a Pedestrian Accident in Egan
Pedestrian accident injuries can be financially draining, especially due to costly medical bills. You can seek compensation for a variety of losses, though. Our Egan pedestrian accident lawyer can help to recover the following:
- Medical Bills: You can seek to recoup both your current and future medical expenses. We can use records of your ambulance bills, hospital bills, surgeries, and rehabilitation costs to support your claim.
- Loss of Earning Capacity: You can seek compensation if the injuries prevent you from working during recovery. Compensation may account for earnings lost and the income you could have earned if your injuries prevent you from returning to work.
- Pain and Suffering: You can pursue non-economic losses, too. Pain and suffering refers to both the emotional and physical pain that you endure due to an accident-related injury.
Deadlines for Filing a Lawsuit After a Pedestrian Accident in Egan
If you’ve suffered injuries as a pedestrian in Egan, you can also file a lawsuit against the liable party. Filing a personal injury lawsuit can be a complex process, especially due to the statute of limitations. CC Art. 3492 states that you generally have one year to file.
If you want to file a wrongful death lawsuit, you generally have the same amount of time. Missing these deadlines risks your right to seek compensation through legal action.
Our Egan Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Can Provide Responsive Legal Help
At the Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we’re ready to help you file a personal injury claim after a pedestrian accident. Our Egan pedestrian accident lawyer can handle your case from start to finish. Contact us for a no-obligation, free consultation.