Losing a loved one in a truck accident can take a toll on you emotionally and financially. You shouldn’t be left to cope with these hardships on your own. A Baton Rouge fatal truck accident lawyer at our firm can help you seek compensation from the liable party.
We have over 100 staff members and more than 350 years of collective legal experience at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers. Let us put all our resources, knowledge, and experience to work for you when we take your wrongful death case.
Don’t Worry About Upfront Payments With Our Fatal Truck Accident Lawyers
Don’t let the financial upset from a fatal truck accident keep you from seeking legal representation. At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we offer our services on a contingency-fee basis.
Our firm finances your wrongful death case from start to finish, so you don’t have to worry about paying us up front or out of pocket. Your attorney will only charge you if and when we recover your damages.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
How Our Fatal Truck Accident Lawyer in Baton Rouge, LA, Can Help You
We at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers understand that everything feels like a blur in the aftermath of losing a loved one, especially so unexpectedly. Pursuing a wrongful death case against the liable party could be the farthest thing from your mind. However, it’s important to act quickly if you want compensation for your damages.
That’s where our fatal truck accident attorney can step in. While you take time to remember your loved one, we can handle these tasks related to your case:
- Order a copy of the accident report
- Evaluate your past and future damages
- Collect evidence, like your medical records, photos of the crash scene, and traffic camera footage
- Ask witnesses for their testimonies
- Request information pertaining to the accident from the trucking, like black box data, maintenance records of the involved truck, and dashcam video
- Enter into negotiations for a fair settlement
- Pursue your case in a trial if we cannot settle
- Identify the party on the hook for your damages
- Take on all communication with the involved parties
We want you involved in your case just as much as we are, so we keep you in the loop throughout the legal process and don’t move forward with any decision without consulting you first.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Compensation You Can Seek After Losing a Loved One to a Fatal Truck Accident
You may be entitled to pursue compensation after your loved one succumbed to their injuries in a truck accident in Baton Rouge, LA. How much you can seek depends on factors such as:
- The nature of the crash
- How much medical care your loved one required before their passing
- If the decedent was the breadwinner of the family
- The emotional impact the death has left on the survivors
This information can help point us to which damages you can recover. They may include the following:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Final medical treatment bills
- Loss of care, consortium, and/or companionship
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of inheritance or financial support
Our fatal truck accident attorneys in Baton Rouge, LA, will review your case in its entirety to ensure you receive fair compensation.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
Time Limits on Seeking Compensation After a Fatal Truck Accident
If you opt to file a lawsuit following a fatal truck crash in Baton Rouge, LA, you must be mindful of the deadlines the state enforces. Under CC Art. 2315.2, wrongful death claimants typically have one year to file suit. Exceptions may extend or shorten this time frame. Still, failure to meet this deadline may give the court reason to throw out your case, leaving you to cover the costs related to your case.
If you get one of our fatal truck accident attorneys involved soon enough, we can work to avoid negative outcomes and ultimately comply with this important timeline.
Who Has Grounds to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Baton Rouge, LA?
In many states, the decedent’s personal representative of their estate is the only one eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit. However, Louisiana works differently, as usually, immediate family members can take this action.
If the decedent has a surviving spouse or children, they may file. If that’s not the case, the decedent’s surviving parents can file. In the event they didn’t leave any of these people behind, a surviving brother and sister may bring a lawsuit against the liable party. Should none of these parties survive the decedent, the grandparents may take the case.
Our fatal truck accident lawyer can help identify which party can bring legal action against the liable party.
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
Who May Carry Responsibility for Your Fatal Truck Crash Damages
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we strive to get to the bottom of who and what caused your loved one’s fatal injuries. Some possibilities include the following:
- The truck driver: If they were distracted, intoxicated, failed to yield, following too closely, or didn’t follow state and national traffic laws
- The trucking company: If they didn’t properly vet or train the driver or impose safety standards
- The cargo company: If the employee didn’t securely fasten the cargo or load it properly
- A vehicle parts manufacturer: If they produced faulty brakes or defective tires
- A government municipality: If they didn’t clear the road of debris or forewarn road users of potential dangers
If more than one party caused the crash, one of our attorneys can seek compensation from them according to their percentage of fault.
Work With Our Fatal Truck Accident Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LA, Today
According to the Louisiana Department of Transportation & Development, there were 90 deadly collisions involving trucks in the state in 2021. If your family endured such a tragedy, you may seek wrongful death damages.
Don’t think you have to do it on your own. Our Baton Rouge fatal truck accident lawyer can guide you throughout the process. Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for a free consultation.