According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), 768 people lost their lives in fatal traffic accidents in Louisiana in 2018. In Louisiana and across the nation, side impact collisions cause nearly 1,000 deaths and thousands more injuries to those who are fortunate enough to survive these dangerous collisions.
If you or a loved one were harmed in a side impact collision, you have options. An Andrew side impact collisions lawyer with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can review your claim and explain your options for seeking compensation for your injuries. To learn more, call our team today at (337) 777-7777.
Causes of Side Impact Collisions
A side impact collision usually occurs in one of two common scenarios:
- A driver is turning left while a vehicle coming from the opposite direction is traveling straight. The front of the turning vehicle collides with the side of the vehicle traveling straight. This is generally referred to as a T-bone accident because the vehicles make a “T” shape.
- Drivers driving next to each other, in either the same or opposite direction, collide on the side of their vehicles.
In the first scenario, the driver turning left is often found at fault. Louisiana RS 32:122 states that drivers intending to turn left must yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching from the opposite direction. Therefore, many side impact collisions are attributed to drivers who are turning left who do not obey traffic laws or are distracted.
However, in some situations, the driver who is traveling straight may be held responsible for the accident, such as if they were speeding or ran a red light. Because these cases can quickly become complicated, it is important to contact an Andrew side impact collisions lawyer who can fully investigate your claim and determine who is responsible for the collision.
In the second scenario, an accident usually occurs because a vehicle has drifted into another lane. This may happen because the driver is:
- Under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Asleep or fatigued
- Not paying attention
- Not properly passing
- Not checking for vehicles in blind spots
There are other circumstances that can cause side impact collisions, but these two scenarios are the most typical.
For a free legal consultation with a side impact collisions lawyer serving Andrew, call (337) 777-7777
Dangers of Side Impact Collisions
While all types of motor vehicle collisions can be dangerous, side impact collisions often result in tragic consequences—including fatality or catastrophic injury—because some vehicles do not provide as much protection on the side. For example, many vehicles are not equipped with side airbags that can adequately protect occupants in these types of collisions. Additionally, side impact collisions tend to occur at higher speeds, which increases the risk of injury.
There are many different types of injuries that victims can suffer in side impact collisions, depending on the location of the impact, speed, type of vehicle, and other factors. Some injuries that are common in side impact collisions include:
- Head injuries – Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), skull fractures, concussions, and other head injuries may occur when there is sudden force to the vehicle or if the victim hits their head on a hard surface.
- Neck and back injuries – Spinal cord injuries, herniated discs, or sprains to the neck or back may occur because of the greater amount of force in many of these accidents.
- Soft tissue injuries – Drivers and passengers may suffer from whiplash, sprains, strains, or tears in their muscles, tendons, or ligaments.
- Chest, abdominal, and pelvic injuries – Victims may also suffer injuries from concaving doors or crushing metal. Broken glass can pierce their torso and result in excruciating injuries.
- Fractures – Even just one broken bone can require surgery and a long recovery period.
If you are healing from injuries, or grieving the death of a loved one, you do not have to go through this battle alone. An Andrew side impact collisions lawyer with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you fight for the compensation you deserve. To speak with a member of our team, call (337) 777-7777 today.
Andrew Side Impact Collisions Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Potential Compensation in Side Impact Collisions
If you were injured in a side impact collision caused by another driver’s negligence, you have the right to pursue compensation for the damages you have suffered. This may include:
- Property damage – You have the right to have your own vehicle repaired or replaced if a careless driver caused damage.
- Medical expenses – You may incur ambulance fees and emergency room fees, as well as costs for surgery, rehabilitation, medications, and follow-up care that should be reimbursed.
- Lost wages – Side-impact collisions often result in serious injuries that may prevent a person from being able to return to work immediately. If you lost wages or employment benefits while recovering, you may be able to receive compensation for these losses.
- Lost earning capacity – If the accident left you permanently disabled or made you adjust to a lower-paying position, you may be able to receive compensation for the difference between your previous earning capacity and your current earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering – You may be able to recover compensation for your physical pain and suffering, along with mental anguish, fear, embarrassment, and inconvenience caused by the accident.
However, before you can receive any of these forms of compensation, you must be able to prove the other party was liable, which will likely require the assistance of an experienced lawyer.
Contact Us Today
If you or your loved one were injured because of the negligence of another driver, an Andrew side impact collisions lawyers with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help. We can gather evidence and investigate your collision to determine liability and the full extent of your damages, so you can focus on healing.
Because we work on a contingency fee basis, we do not charge for an initial consultation—we are only paid for our services if we recover compensation for your claim. Call us today at (337) 777-7777 for a free case review.